Call 01209 61560001209 615600
Exit site Toggle menu Get free condoms


As a nation, we drinking more than ever and drinking more often. As gay/bisexual men/MSM we drink in ever higher amounts than our heterosexual counterparts - click here for a recent report.

If we're old enough for the gay scene we can find that much of the socialising there is based around drinking too. Even if we don't or can't access bars, pubs and clubs some of us drink elsewhere - with friends or alone. 

If getting drunk is part of your weekly routine have a check on your units to see if your social drinking has become a regular habit.

Recommended low risk weekly drinking guidelines:

  • Adult Men = 14 units
  • Adult Women = 14 units

To give you an idea what a unit is, there are two units in:

  • 1 pint of ordinary strength beer or lager
  • 1 double pub-size shot of a spirit
  • 1 large glass of wine

In some cases drinking can really take over your daily life. Some people are drinking because they need to. Some tell-tale signs are:

  • Tremor before you have your first drink of the day?
  • Sweat before you have your first drink?
  • Suffer flu-like symptoms if you don't have a drink or after heavy drinking?
  • Have friends or loved ones who worry about your drinking?

You don't have to wait for this stage to get some information or talk about your drinking. Or maybe you have a friend, partner or family member who drinks a lot and want to talk about it sometimes? There are alcohol services in most areas and services are free. You can also access our "face to face" service if you'd like to talk to someone before you access further services.

There are plenty of services both locally and nationally that can support you with issues alcohol issues.

Local support services


Addaction / CADA
Liskeard (EAST): 01579 340616
Penzance (WEST): 01736 365467
Truro (MID): 01872 263001
Alcohol and Drugs Agency offering information and treatment and community support.

Bosence Farm Community

Hayle 01736 850006
Supported housing for people recovering from drug and alcohol addiction using a 12 step method.

Breadline Health Information & Support Service

Penzance 01872 264153

Camborne SHARE

Camborne 01209 711500
Information, advice and support for 13-25 year olds.

Cornwall and IOS Drugs and Alcohol Action Team (DAAT)

Truro 01872 35447

Cornwall Drug and Alcohol Team (CDAT)

Redruth 01209 881907

Cornwall Health for the Homeless

Truro 01872 273617
GP Practice for the homeless providing primary health care to the homeless in Penzance and Camborne.

Cornwall Integrated Alcohol/Drugs Team

Redruth 01209 881907
Statutory team that provides treatment for people with drug and alcohol misuse problems.

Freshfield Service, The

Truro 01872 241952
Independent service for anyone affected by drug / alcohol use, includes needle exchange.


Redruth 01209 211825
Services for people recovering from addiction to drugs and alcohol.

The Haven

Helston 01326 572685 ex36
Counselling and support to students and staff at Helston Community College

Know Limits Parents Project

Penzance 01736 365467
Parent support groups to lower alcohol / cannabis harm in 8 - 16 year olds

Penzance Homelessness Project

Penzance 01736 330090
Salvation Army homelessness project incorporating the Penzance and Newlyn Churches Breakfast Project

Penzance SHARE

Penzance 01736 361059
Young people's information and advice shop

Up Front Rural Project

Truro 01872 261989
A health sign-posting service for young people living in the Lizard area.

Youth Cornwall - Share Counselling

Newquay 01637 876079
Counselling service for young people aged 13-25.

YZUP (Wise-Up to Drugs and Alcohol)

Truro 0800 1693787
YZUP offers support, information and advice about drugs and alcohol to young people under 19yrs.


National support services

0207 928 890
Drugs/Alcohol advice for families

Alcohol Concern

020 7928 7377National

Alcoholics Anonymous

08457 697555 (or local 01752 791111)

CODA UK (Co-Dependents Anonymous)

020 7376 8191
For those directly and indirectly affected by drugs or alcohol

Drinkline: National Alcohol Helpline

0800 917 8282